Internal Auditor is responsible for the timely execution of risk-based internal audits, support of external audit activities, and assisting with other audit matters and special projects. This responsibility includes developing internal audit scope, performing internal audit procedures, and preparing internal audit reports reflecting the results of the work performed.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Builds relationships with internal clients; works collaboratively with others to understand the business model and customer objectives in order to develop and execute appropriate audits.
- Plans and develops the scope and objectives for audit work to be performed.
- Performs audit fieldwork (testing) and prepares organized workpapers that support audit project findings.
- Advises manager of any potential audit issues or job overruns in a timely manner and proposes solutions to balance/handle the variance from plan.
- Prepares reports detailing the results of the audit work performed and any potential improvement opportunities identified during the project.
- Identifies, understands, and documents processes and procedures surrounding internal controls, and implements new controls as necessary.
- Monitors and audits the company’s compliance with established internal controls.
- Identifies, analyzes, and resolves complex auditing and accounting issues.
- Coordinates activities with external auditors to support their audit and review procedures.
- Manages multiple audits and projects, and assures effective and efficient completion of all audits and projects assigned.
- Seeks, learns, and uses new audit skills and techniques.
- Recommends and/or supports process development and improvement strategies. Serves as a resource to help achieve departmental and corporate objectives. May work with internal clients to implement process improvements.
- Other related duties as necessary to meet departmental and corporate objectives.
Experience, Qualifications, and Education:
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting or Finance
- 1-3 years of accounting and/or auditing experience
- Achievement or active pursuit of one or more professional certifications is required (i.e. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA))
- Solid knowledge of U.S. generally accepted accounting principles and auditing standards
- Solid knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley requirements
- Strong analytical skills including working knowledge of Statistical Testing and Data Analysis tools
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organization, and leadership skills
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Knowledge of the healthcare, technology, or insurance industries
- Above-average computer skill, specifically with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint