The Senior Business Analyst (Sr. BA) will develop and document business and functional requirements as part of a software development team. The Sr. BA needs to understand business practices and will represent the interests of the business stakeholders to the team. The individual will be working with a team that is responsible for supporting a complex environment of interconnected systems and making changes and enhancements as new requests come in. The Sr. BA will work closely with product owner(s), systems architect, stakeholders, and development team to transform business needs into user stories and other requirements documents. The Sr. BA role requires excellent communication skills with experience conducting meetings and making presentations.
Department: Technology Department
Reports To: IT Manager
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage relationships and communicates with the business owners, business stakeholders, software developers, and a wide range of project contributors.
- Understand the working of different systems and the information that is exchanged across systems. Act as subject-matter expert for the development team.
- Document business and non-functional requirements through a variety of techniques including user stories, use cases, story maps, data modeling, process flow modeling, screen mockups, report mockups etc. Document business rules.
- Facilitate requirements gathering meetings including kickoffs, story mapping sessions, software reviews and demos.
- Assist developers / product owners / senior management in estimating, managing, and prioritizing product backlog.
- Assist the product owner(s) in understanding the true need within a request.
- Help ensure common understanding within the team on business needs and goals and ensure the team’s solutions address the core business needs.
- Lead or assist with acceptance testing.
- Participate in change management activities including Q&A testing, troubleshooting, and investigation.
- Assist Scrum Master and manager with communication to stakeholders and management. Act as Scrum Master when needed, organizing daily standup and retrospectives.
- Assist with documenting production issues and defects.
- As a senior analyst, provide coaching and guidance to other Business Analysts as needed.
Education and/or Experience:
This position requires a bachelor’s degree from a four-year college/university with 8 years of experience as an IT business analyst, with a minimum of 2 years’ experience working in a complex multi-system environment. A minimum of 2 years’ experience working as a BA in an agile environment is required.
- Agile Tools such as JIRA, Rally or Mingle (JIRA preferred), MS Excel, MS Word, MS SharePoint, Visio, PowerPoint.
- Past experience at eliciting and capturing requirements using various techniques, including but not limited to, user stories, use cases, story maps, data modeling, process flow modeling, screen mockups, report mockups.
- Prior experience with website development teams required.
- Prior experience with accounting software, order processing or inventory management is a plus.
- Prior experience working as a Scrum Master or agile coach required; Scrum Master Certification strongly preferred. Experience with Kanban is a plus.
- Some experience with UML or BPMN modeling is a plus.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills including listening, verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking skills while eliciting requirements to understand the real need for the request.
- Self-starter and team player.
- Organizational, planning, and multi-tasking skills.
- Demonstrated ethics and values to foster high team trust.